- The Planning Commission shall make and adopt plans for the physical development of the City, including any areas outside its boundaries which, in the Commission’s judgment, bear relation to the planning of the City, and including a comprehensive development plan.
- Prepare and adopt such implemental means as a capital improvement program, subdivision regulations, building codes and zoning ordinance in cooperation with other interested City departments.
- Consult and advise with public officials and agencies, public utilities, civic organizations, educational institutions, and citizens with relation to the promulgation and implementation of the comprehensive development plan and its implemental programs.
- Have the power to delegate authority to any such group to conduct studies and make surveys for the Commission; make preliminary reports on its findings. Hold public hearings before submitting its final reports.
- May make arrangements consistent with its program; conduct or sponsor special studies or planning work for any public body or appropriate agency; receive grants, remuneration, or reimbursements for such studies or work; and at its public hearings, summon witnesses, administer oaths, and compel the giving of testimony.
View members of the Planning Commission
. The City Planning Commission shall consist of nine members who shall represent insofar as possible, different professions or occupations in the City and shall hold no other municipal office, except when appointed to serve on the Board of Adjustment.
The term of each appointed member of the Planning Commission shall be three years. The City Planning Commission shall elect its Chairperson from its members and shall create and fill such other of its offices as it may determine. A majority of the members appointed to the Planning Commission shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
Special Membership Requirements
- Two members may be residents of the area over which the City is authorized to exercise extraterritorial zoning and subdivision regulation.
- Members shall be of different professions or occupations in the City and shall hold no other municipal office, except when appointed to serve on the Board of Adjustment.
- When there are 1,000 residents in the area over which the City exercises territorial zoning and subdivision regulations, one member of the Commission shall be a resident from such area.